The 17th Shanghai International Film Festival (siff.com), to be held between June 14 and 22, 2014, announced nine nominees for the prestigious Asian New Talent Award. The nine nominated films represent 6 Asian countries: Japan, Thailand, Iran, South Korea, India, and China, and China’s legendary rock star Cui Jian’s directorial debut, The Blue Bone, made the list. Here are the 9 nominees:
- 10 Minutes; dir. Lee Yong-seung (South Korea)
- Angels Come Together; dir. Hamid Mohammad (Iran)
- Blue Sky Bones; dir. Cui Jian (China)
- Concrete Clouds; dir. Lee Chatametikool (Thailand/Hong Kong)
- Phoring (Dragonfly); dir. Indranil Roychowdhury (India)
- Homeland; dir. Kubota Nao (Japan)
- I’m Not Angry!; dir. Reza Dormishian (Iran)
- No Smoking; dirs. Dong Xinwen, Wu Gang (China)
- The Tale of Iya; dir. Tsuta Tetsuichiro (Japan).
The Asian New Talent Award jury is chaired by South Korean director KANG Je-gyu, who served on the main competition jury in 2005. He is joined by New Zealand director Vincent WARD, Filipino director Adolfo Borinaga ALIX Jr., Taiwan producer LEE Lieh and Chinese actress YAN Bingyan. The cash award will be announced two days before the closing of the film festival.